Land train plans back on track in Ilfracombe
- Credit: Archant
North Devon Council offered money for ‘Dotto’ trackless train in the town.
A new transport link could be on the streets of Ilfracombe by Christmas after the offer of a £190,000 grant towards a land train for the town.
The Dotto Italian-made train, similar to those in Torquay or Bournemouth, would be able to take passengers on a circuit around the town from the seafront and harbour to the High Street.
North Devon Council applied for the European funding from the Leader 4 programme and looks set to throw in another £10,000, as long as the scheme is approved by the executive committee next month. The Leader 4 grant must be used by the end of the year.
Plans for a trackless train stalled and were shelved in 2010, but now it is hoped the town can still become the first place in North Devon to have a Dotto.
You may also want to watch:
As well as a means of getting visitors around the town and to different areas, such as the High Street, it is also hoped the train would help cut traffic congestion and parking problems.
Sally Nelson, senior regeneration officer at North Devon Council, said: “It provides an additional tourist attraction for Ilfracombe and we are trying to ensure the increased footfall brought about by Verity benefits the whole town.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
The trains take three month to manufacture and if all goes ahead, the operator will be selected by a tender process during that time.