Lack of applicants for ‘affordable’ homes
Village homes have to be re-advertised
TOO few applicants have come forward to take the tenancies of an affordable homes project visited by the Princess Royal last year.
Woolsery Parish Council campaigned successfully for 18 affordable homes to be built after requests for villagers.
But only 11 applicants with the correct residential qualifications have so far applied for the 18 two and three-bedroomed houses now nearing completion.
A dozen of the houses are situated beside the Woolsery Sports and Community Hall and the other six are at Bucks Cross.
You may also want to watch:
Now the decision has been taken to re-advertise the properties in the hope that more local people come forwsard.
Councillor Roy Turner, who led the project for the parish council, said: “We were astounded that so few village people came forward the first time we advertised, because 70 people at a public meeting told us there was a need for affordable homes in the village and this was confirmed by the results of a survey.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 5 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 6 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 10 MP welcomes free virtual funding workshop for North Devon charities
“The properties are being re-advertised in the hope that eligible villagers will apply, otherwise people from neighbouring parishes will have to be considered.
Liz Steele, Torridge District Council’s housing manager, said 132 people responded to the first advertisement, but only 11 had satisfied the residential qualifications for tenants and these had been passed to Magna Housing, which was administering the scheme.
n The quickest way to register interest in the Woolsery homes is to do it online at www.devonhomechoice.com or people can call the Torridge Housing Options team on (01237) 428849