Lack of applicants for ‘affordable’ homes
Village homes have to be re-advertised
TOO few applicants have come forward to take the tenancies of an affordable homes project visited by the Princess Royal last year.
Woolsery Parish Council campaigned successfully for 18 affordable homes to be built after requests for villagers.
But only 11 applicants with the correct residential qualifications have so far applied for the 18 two and three-bedroomed houses now nearing completion.
A dozen of the houses are situated beside the Woolsery Sports and Community Hall and the other six are at Bucks Cross.
You may also want to watch:
Now the decision has been taken to re-advertise the properties in the hope that more local people come forwsard.
Councillor Roy Turner, who led the project for the parish council, said: “We were astounded that so few village people came forward the first time we advertised, because 70 people at a public meeting told us there was a need for affordable homes in the village and this was confirmed by the results of a survey.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
“The properties are being re-advertised in the hope that eligible villagers will apply, otherwise people from neighbouring parishes will have to be considered.
Liz Steele, Torridge District Council’s housing manager, said 132 people responded to the first advertisement, but only 11 had satisfied the residential qualifications for tenants and these had been passed to Magna Housing, which was administering the scheme.
n The quickest way to register interest in the Woolsery homes is to do it online at www.devonhomechoice.com or people can call the Torridge Housing Options team on (01237) 428849