Labour candidate supports hospital workers' campaign
LABOUR S prospective parliamentary candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann, has pledged support for staff at North Devon Hospital who are campaigning for fair pay and conditions. Speaking at a meeting of Unison members, he said that it was time for the Nort
LABOUR'S prospective parliamentary candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann, has pledged support for staff at North Devon Hospital who are campaigning for fair pay and conditions.
Speaking at a meeting of Unison members, he said that it was time for the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to meet their responsibilities and fully implement the Agenda for Change provisions.
He said: "It's outrageous that it has taken three years for the Trust to respond to the national agreement when it has already had the money from the Government to implement these changes. Even now, they are not prepared to meet the agreement in full and sadly the staff have been left with no alternative but to propose industrial action"
Mr Cann had been in touch with the Department of Health and with Jim Knight,MP, Minister for the South West to lobby on behalf of the Sodexo employed staff.
You may also want to watch:
Mr.Cann continued: "Public money has been passed on to the Trust to end the two- tier workforce in the NHS and they must be called to account for why this has not been spent on improving the pay and conditions of some of the lowest paid members of the workforce.
"It's particularly galling to hear the Trust boasting of the cleanliness standards at North Devon Hospital but is not prepared to meet its responsibilities to the very staff that have put the Hospital in the top 10 per cent."
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
He called on the Trust to fully implement the agreement and so avoid the need for industrial action.