Labour candidate supports hospital workers' campaign
LABOUR S prospective parliamentary candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann, has pledged support for staff at North Devon Hospital who are campaigning for fair pay and conditions. Speaking at a meeting of Unison members, he said that it was time for the Nort
LABOUR'S prospective parliamentary candidate for North Devon, Mark Cann, has pledged support for staff at North Devon Hospital who are campaigning for fair pay and conditions.
Speaking at a meeting of Unison members, he said that it was time for the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust to meet their responsibilities and fully implement the Agenda for Change provisions.
He said: "It's outrageous that it has taken three years for the Trust to respond to the national agreement when it has already had the money from the Government to implement these changes. Even now, they are not prepared to meet the agreement in full and sadly the staff have been left with no alternative but to propose industrial action"
Mr Cann had been in touch with the Department of Health and with Jim Knight,MP, Minister for the South West to lobby on behalf of the Sodexo employed staff.
Mr.Cann continued: "Public money has been passed on to the Trust to end the two- tier workforce in the NHS and they must be called to account for why this has not been spent on improving the pay and conditions of some of the lowest paid members of the workforce.
"It's particularly galling to hear the Trust boasting of the cleanliness standards at North Devon Hospital but is not prepared to meet its responsibilities to the very staff that have put the Hospital in the top 10 per cent."
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 3 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 4 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 5 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 8 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 9 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 10 OPINION: Channel your inner Wim Hof in Saunton this weekend
He called on the Trust to fully implement the agreement and so avoid the need for industrial action.