Knitted squares bound for Africa
THE hard work of more than 500 North Devon Hospice knitters is set to make a big difference in poverty-stricken rural Africa. Hundreds of knitted squares created during February s Great North Devon Knit In are being shipped to the Kira Farm project in Uga
THE hard work of more than 500 North Devon Hospice knitters is set to make a big difference in poverty-stricken rural Africa.
Hundreds of knitted squares created during February's Great North Devon Knit In are being shipped to the Kira Farm project in Uganda, a training centre being built by Barnstaple-based charity Amigos.
Amigos' Phil Pugsley said: "Material like this is fantastic for us because we can ship it to places like Kira Farm, where it can be made into blankets for the children over there.
"The great thing about this material being in squares is that it doesn't get taxed because it is classed as packaging. We applied a similar principle when working with 'Tools With a Mission', which proved hugely successful."
You may also want to watch:
This year's North Devon Hospice knit-in featured more than 70 individual events and knitted squares will also be donated to other charities including Dogs' Trust and Age Concern.
North Devon Hospice's community fund-raiser Rebecca Worth, said: "Thank you so much to everyone who took part. You have helped to make a difference in so many ways.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington