Member of staff treated for burns to the hand after fire breaks out in bar open less than 24 hours.

The new SQ Bar in Braunton had a kitchen fire on Sunday. Pic: James Wilkes.The new SQ Bar in Braunton had a kitchen fire on Sunday. Pic: James Wilkes.

A FIRE broke out in a brand new bar in Braunton on Sunday – less than 24 hours after it opened its doors for the first time.

SQ Bar opened in the former Natwest Bank on Saturday evening, after a full refurbishment which has seen scaffolding surround the building for months.

But on Sunday afternoon three fire crews were scrambled to the establishment on Exeter Road after a fire broke out in the kitchen.

A member of staff had to be treated for minor burns to the hand after a fire involving a gas cooking range, griddle and fats.

Three fire crews from Barnstaple and Ilfracombe arrived shortly after 3.35pm to find the fire was already out and checked for any spread of the flames.

The bar, which has a restaurant and roof terrace, offers a range of British cuisine.