Kentisbury Ford gets ultrafast broadband
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A small village in the heart of North Devon is at the forefront of a ‘digital revolution’ which is set to sweep across the region.
Connecting Devon and Somerset (CDS) and Airband have today announced that Airband’s ultrafast fibre network in Devon is live in Kentisbury Ford, thanks to the CDS Fibre Extension Programme.
Homes and businesses in Kentisbury Ford are now able to enjoy some of the fastest broadband speeds in the UK.
Most homes in Kentisbury Ford have a connection speed of less than 10Mbps, making it a digital ‘not spot’. The new fibre optic broadband network means that people in Kentisbury Ford can get connected to an internet service with download speeds up to 10 times faster than they currently have (100Mbps) which is enough bandwidth to stream ultra-HD on four devices simultaneously, or download a HD movie in five minutes.
Airband is currently delivering ultrafast full fibre access to around 6,000 premises as part of the CDS Fibre Extension Programme.
You may also want to watch:
This fibre roll-out in Devon by Airband includes Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Abbotsham, Bideford, Great Torrington, South Molton, Okehampton, Tavistock, and many more locations across the region.
All of these areas are expected to be live this year. Over the course of the rollout, further network developments will be undertaken to make the network gigabit-capable, in other words download speeds of up to 1000Mpbs will become a reality for homes and businesses across rural Devon.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 3 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 7 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 8 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 9 Egg-ceptional packaging design from autistic Petroc student Brooke
- 10 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
Simon Palmer, project manager at Airband, is delighted with how smoothly the process has gone. He said: “Bringing ultrafast to Kentisbury Ford represents everything that Airband is about – we are transforming connectivity for people and communities who deserve better. It’s so rewarding to be able to provide such a vast improvement in broadband speeds and the reaction and appreciation from the villagers here has been incredible.
Councillor Rufus Gilbert, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Economy and Skills, said: “It's encouraging to see the roll out of full fibre across Devon and Somerset and it's great to think that people in Kentisbury Ford can now access some of the fastest broadband speeds in the country.”
To find out if you’re in Airband’s current or planned coverage area, please enter your postcode in the coverage checker at: www.airband.co.uk.