Bideford cosmetics factory likely to close
- Credit: Matt Smart
A cosmetics factory in Bideford is likely to close, putting more than 100 jobs at risk.
KDC/One Swallowfield is planning to close the site in Alverdiscott Road Industrial Estate following a six-month ‘strategic review’ of its European businesses, according to consultation documents seen by the Gazette.
The move comes after the factory was acquired by KDC/One last year.
The Bideford factory specialises in cosmetic pencils such as eyeliners, lip liners and brow pencils, as well as a range of other lip care products such as balms and butters.
KDC/One Swallowfield intends to move the Bideford production line overseas to France, while a research and development function based at Bideford is set to move to the company’s site in Wellington, Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
The company has warned all Bideford-based employees are at risk of redundancy, with the site expected to close at the end of August. An exact date has yet to be confirmed.
Staff at the factory were notified of the proposals on Wednesday morning (June 17) before being sent home for the day.
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 3 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 4 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 5 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 6 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 7 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 10 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
The Gazette has contacted KDC/One Swallowfield for comment.