Alzheimer’s champion to pass through North Devon on incredible 20,000 mile coastal walk
- Credit: Contributed
An Alzheimer’s Research UK champion is set to pass through North Devon this week as she tackles a 20,000 mile walk around the UK and Ireland.
Karen Penny will set off from Lynmouth on Wednesday (August 26) and will spend seven days tackling the North Devon coast before reaching Hartland Quay on Tuesday (September 1).
The 54-year-old from Gower in Wales, who originally began her trek in January 2019, had spent 13 months on foot, and had travelled as far as the Shetland Islands when the Covid-19 pandemic forced her to return home.
Inspired to support the UK’s leading dementia charity after both of her in-laws were affected by different forms of dementia, Karen has not rested on her laurels while under lockdown back home.
She resumed the challenge earlier this month, tackling the remaining route in reverse.
You may also want to watch:
Karen, who has already raised more than £63,000 towards vital dementia research for Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: “Although it’s been nice to catch up with things at home, I’m nevertheless itching to get started again. On my walk I met so many wonderful people who were as keen as I am to support Alzheimer’s Research UK.
“Sadly, one in two people know someone who has been affected by dementia, so everywhere I went I met people with their own stories to share.”
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 9 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
Karen’s seven-day trek across the North Devon coast will see her stop at Combe Martin, Woolacombe, Ashford, Barnstaple, Appledore and Clovelly before reaching Hartland Quay.
To sponsor Karen, head to her Just Giving page.