Just where is northern Devon?
SIR - Given that no decision has yet been taken as to whether, with the exception of Torbay and Plymouth, a Unitary Authority should be created for the remaining parts of the County of Devon the recent planning communiqu� produced jointly and distributed
SIR - Given that no decision has yet been taken as to whether, with the exception of Torbay and Plymouth, a Unitary Authority should be created for the remaining parts of the County of Devon the recent planning communiqu� produced jointly and distributed by the Leaders of North Devon Council and Torridge District Council may be seen as a bold, positive and optimistic step.
However, the title of the communiqu� "Northern Devon to 2026" may convey to the Minister responsible for making that decision that these two Leaders don't even know who they represent and may therefore feel that the creation of a Unitary Authority may be appropriate in that those appointed to manage it will at least know who they represent !
Where is Northern Devon? As yet I have been unable to find it on any map! Who are Northern Devonians? I have been unable to find one dead or alive!
It appears that in recent years there has been a growing tendency for official bodies and agencies to try to change the identity of North Devon and North Devonians without any respect for the history and heritage of those born as North Devonians and who, as things are going, could claim to be a minority group which is being discriminated against by those seeking to change their identity and the identity of their birth place.
You may also want to watch:
In the past one excuse for using the expression "Northern Devon" was so as to ensure that those born in the Torridge area did not feel excluded. Why should they? They are North Devonians just as those born elsewhere in North Devon are.
If those born as North Devonians feel that, as a minority group, they are being discriminated against they may have a right of action under various Statutes one, dare I say, possibly being the Human Rights Act! Perhaps, to avoid the risk of such action, those using the expression "Northern Devon" will stop doing so forthwith!
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 8 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
Robin Harman, Barnstaple