Junction a 'death trap'
SIR - I agree with the many people who think that the infamous Westleigh junction on the A39, near Bideford is a death-trap. I know of many drivers who avoid using the junction for fear of being involved in a fatal accident, and make the journey to Bidef
SIR - I agree with the many people who think that the infamous Westleigh junction on the A39, near Bideford is a death-trap.
I know of many drivers who avoid using the junction for fear of being involved in a fatal accident, and make the journey to Bideford via the East-the-Water road instead.
This, of course, means that more traffic is passing through urban areas and crossing Bideford's medieval Long Bridge, as opposed to using the modern downstream bridge which was purposely built to allow today's heavy traffic to safely cross the river or by-pass the town.
Did it not make sense to build a roundabout in the first place? These types of road junctions are evidently dangerous - take the black-spots on the A361 at Landkey and near South Molton.
You may also want to watch:
The council is wasting money on useless alterations and expensive road signs that obviously have not helped to improve safety, and more importantly, have not stopped lives from being tragically lost.
The statement made by Councillor Hughes, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, that the location would "continue to be monitored to see if further improvements are needed " is ridiculous. How many lives have to be lost for it to be accepted that the junction is defectively designed and deadly dangerous?
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 8 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
This junction must have a roundabout, to give drivers a clear understanding of who has right of way, and act to slow down traffic as it merges.
Looking to the future, the main trunk roads through our county will, no doubt, have to become dual carriageway, to be able to cope with increasing traffic loads. Many people believe that the A361/A39 stretch of road between Tiverton and Bideford should already be dual carriageway. This would mean that a roundabout at Westleigh would be crucial.
Let's hope that the council listens to common sense and does what it should have done in the first place - build a roundabout!
Nigel Vidler, English Democrats