Junction a 'death trap'
SIR - I agree with the many people who think that the infamous Westleigh junction on the A39, near Bideford is a death-trap. I know of many drivers who avoid using the junction for fear of being involved in a fatal accident, and make the journey to Bidef
SIR - I agree with the many people who think that the infamous Westleigh junction on the A39, near Bideford is a death-trap.
I know of many drivers who avoid using the junction for fear of being involved in a fatal accident, and make the journey to Bideford via the East-the-Water road instead.
This, of course, means that more traffic is passing through urban areas and crossing Bideford's medieval Long Bridge, as opposed to using the modern downstream bridge which was purposely built to allow today's heavy traffic to safely cross the river or by-pass the town.
Did it not make sense to build a roundabout in the first place? These types of road junctions are evidently dangerous - take the black-spots on the A361 at Landkey and near South Molton.
You may also want to watch:
The council is wasting money on useless alterations and expensive road signs that obviously have not helped to improve safety, and more importantly, have not stopped lives from being tragically lost.
The statement made by Councillor Hughes, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, that the location would "continue to be monitored to see if further improvements are needed " is ridiculous. How many lives have to be lost for it to be accepted that the junction is defectively designed and deadly dangerous?
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 7 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 10 Calls to reject latest bid for new homes at Chivenor Cross
This junction must have a roundabout, to give drivers a clear understanding of who has right of way, and act to slow down traffic as it merges.
Looking to the future, the main trunk roads through our county will, no doubt, have to become dual carriageway, to be able to cope with increasing traffic loads. Many people believe that the A361/A39 stretch of road between Tiverton and Bideford should already be dual carriageway. This would mean that a roundabout at Westleigh would be crucial.
Let's hope that the council listens to common sense and does what it should have done in the first place - build a roundabout!
Nigel Vidler, English Democrats