Pictures: Julie Kingdom welcomed in South Molton for Christmas lights switch on
- Credit: Trevor Brayley
Thousands turned out in South Molton on Friday, November 15 as the annual Christmas lights switch on remembered a local favourite.
Julie Kingdom, wife of the late Johnny Kingdom, had been invited to officially switch on the lights and mark the start of the town's Christmas.
Television personality and wildlife expert Johnny was hugely popular in North Devon and there was a wave of sadness following his death in September last year when a digger overturned on his land.
The town's Christmas festivities, organised by South Molton Town Council, began on Friday with people gathering around the main square and Pannier Market from late afternoon.
There was an hour-long set from highly acclaimed band, Stillyano, and the evening will be rounded off with a huge free, firework display in Central Park.
You may also want to watch:
The market was also packed with stalls, family entertainment, children's rides, food and drink stalls.
Mr Henderson said it had been a 'stunning night': "With our carnival having been cancelled back in September and the weather not looking great in the run-up to the event, we were extremely fortunate to have a dry night which allowed between 5,000 and 6,000 people - the most we've ever had attending - to come out and enjoy our spectacular lights switch on and annual firework display.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
"The town council was delighted to welcome Julie Kingdom and her family to perform the switch on, which she dedicated to the memory of her husband Johnny, who is fondly remembered by many people well beyond the parish boundary of South Molton.
"It really was a great start for all our forthcoming festive events we have on in town in the run-up to Christmas."