Join the Westward Ho! beach clean-up
TORRIDGE District Council is organising a beach and pebbleridge clean-up at Westward Ho! on Friday, November 20, and is inviting everyone to join in. Westward Ho! is often referred to as the jewel in Torridge s crown and its long, sandy beach has for the
TORRIDGE District Council is organising a beach and pebbleridge clean-up at Westward Ho! on Friday, November 20, and is inviting everyone to join in.
Westward Ho! is often referred to as the jewel in Torridge's crown and its long, sandy beach has for the past six years attained the standards necessary for the Blue Flag distinction award.
Although the number of Blue Flags given out to beaches in England fell by 11 this year from the previous figure of 82, Westward Ho! maintained its status because of its consistently clean water, litter-free shores, good facilities and safety.
Councillor Roger Tisdale, ward member for Westward Ho!, said: "As one of only seven beaches in Devon to receive the internationally-recognised accolade, the Blue Flag Award recognises all the hard work made by Torridge District Council to ensure the beach is a great place to visit and certainly a venue we are proud of."
You may also want to watch:
Barry Parsons, Lead Member for Environmental Protection, said: "I would urge people to come along if they can. It will be a great way of meeting people and making new friends and it will help maintain Torridge's greatest asset, our beautiful natural environment."
Safety equipment, bins and tool kits will be provided on the day, but participants are recommended to bring their own gloves, suitable footwear, waterproof/warm clothing and any refreshments required.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
Those interested should register by Friday, November 6 with Torridge's recreation officer James Jarroudi on (01237) 428737 and meet at the Northam Burrows Centre at 12noon on November 20.