Join abseiling ex-mayors at Heanton church
- Credit: Archant
Take part in Chemo Appeal sponsored abseil on Sunday, July 27.
FOLLOW in the footsteps of former North Devon mayors this July – as they abseil from a 90 foot church tower for the chemo Appeal.
One time Mayor of Barnstaple and now appeal fundraising manager Ian Roome will be joined by several ex-mayors to abseil down the tower of St Augustine Parish Church at Heanton Punchardon near Braunton.
Anyone who would like to join them on Sunday, July 27 is welcome to sign up – but hurry, as there are only 30 places available.
Participants are asked to raise at least £100 in sponsorship, but previous abseil experience is not necessary as full training will be given by the instructors from Skern Adventure Centre on the day.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve had a look at the tower and it is a very long way day down but I’ve always wanted to have a go at abseiling, and I can’t wait for the date to arrive,” said Ian.
Fundraiser Julie Whitton has been busily climbing to the top of numerous North Devon buildings with a Skern instructor trying to find the ideal spot for the abseil.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 I lost eight stone and an extreme risk of diabetes
“Heanton church is simply the best and probably has the best abseil view in Devon,” she said.
“The view overlooks the Taw and Torridge estuary with views to Lundy and Hartland and the beaches of North Devon – it is phenomenal.”
To take part simply download an entry form and sponsorship form from www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/fundraising or call the fundraising team on 01271 311772.