John Rous appointed as new high sheriff of Devon
- Credit: Archant
Owner of Clovelly Estate to be sworn into his position at service in Clovelly tomorrow (Thursday).
THE new high sheriff of Devon will be sworn in to his year-long position at All Saints Church in Clovelly tomorrow (Thursday).
The honourable John Rous, owner of Clovelly Estate, will be succeeding the current high sheriff John Lee OBE.
The office of the high sheriff is the oldest secular office in the country, with the earliest known sheriff of Devon, Richard son of Baldwin, appointed in 1086.
Each year Her Majesty the Queen chooses the high sheriff by pricking the list of nominations with a silver bodkin.
You may also want to watch:
Once sworn in the High Sheriff, who is a Crown appointee, is second only in credence to the Lord Lieutenant of the County.
Judith Kauntze, chairman of the North and East Devon Magistrates Association, will witness the declaration of the new high sheriff.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
Once sworn in, Mr Rous will then appoint his under sheriff, Simon Barnett, deputy under sheriff, Tim Richards, and clerk to the shrievalty, Neil Hunt.
The ceremony will take place at 11.30am tomorrow.