John is Barnstaple Rotary young achiever
JOHN McDonald s charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club s Young Achiever 2010. John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name. He voluntarily took
JOHN McDonald's charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club's Young Achiever 2010.
John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name.
He voluntarily took on the role of fund raising for its Ronald McDonald charity by selling keyrings at �1 each. In two months John raised �1,230! Now he is switching to selling fridge magnets in another fund raising effort for the same charity.
The Barnstaple club's president Keith Rogers proposed, when he took up office, to do as much as possible to help the area's youth, especially those with a disability, and the Young Achiever Award is the first step towards this, with John its first winner.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of judges Robert Ingram said: "He is the first and he will take some beating."
The Ronald McDonald charity is a worldwide charity which in this country provides support for families with children in hospital, including providing families with free accommodation near to their hospitalised children.The charity has 14 houses, 29 sets of family rooms and more than 400 bedrooms, with more on the way.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 6 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 7 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 8 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 9 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
Barnstaple Link Rotary club is now appealing for nominations for a young person to receive the 2011 award in what is now an annual event.