John is Barnstaple Rotary young achiever
JOHN McDonald s charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club s Young Achiever 2010. John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name. He voluntarily took
JOHN McDonald's charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club's Young Achiever 2010.
John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name.
He voluntarily took on the role of fund raising for its Ronald McDonald charity by selling keyrings at �1 each. In two months John raised �1,230! Now he is switching to selling fridge magnets in another fund raising effort for the same charity.
The Barnstaple club's president Keith Rogers proposed, when he took up office, to do as much as possible to help the area's youth, especially those with a disability, and the Young Achiever Award is the first step towards this, with John its first winner.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of judges Robert Ingram said: "He is the first and he will take some beating."
The Ronald McDonald charity is a worldwide charity which in this country provides support for families with children in hospital, including providing families with free accommodation near to their hospitalised children.The charity has 14 houses, 29 sets of family rooms and more than 400 bedrooms, with more on the way.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 7 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 8 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 9 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 10 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
Barnstaple Link Rotary club is now appealing for nominations for a young person to receive the 2011 award in what is now an annual event.