John is Barnstaple Rotary young achiever
JOHN McDonald s charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club s Young Achiever 2010. John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name. He voluntarily took
JOHN McDonald's charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club's Young Achiever 2010.
John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name.
He voluntarily took on the role of fund raising for its Ronald McDonald charity by selling keyrings at �1 each. In two months John raised �1,230! Now he is switching to selling fridge magnets in another fund raising effort for the same charity.
The Barnstaple club's president Keith Rogers proposed, when he took up office, to do as much as possible to help the area's youth, especially those with a disability, and the Young Achiever Award is the first step towards this, with John its first winner.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of judges Robert Ingram said: "He is the first and he will take some beating."
The Ronald McDonald charity is a worldwide charity which in this country provides support for families with children in hospital, including providing families with free accommodation near to their hospitalised children.The charity has 14 houses, 29 sets of family rooms and more than 400 bedrooms, with more on the way.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
Barnstaple Link Rotary club is now appealing for nominations for a young person to receive the 2011 award in what is now an annual event.