John is Barnstaple Rotary young achiever
JOHN McDonald s charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club s Young Achiever 2010. John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name. He voluntarily took
JOHN McDonald's charity fund raising has won him the accolade of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club's Young Achiever 2010.
John, 28, works two days a week at the Roundswell branch of the fast food chain which, by coincidence, shares his name.
He voluntarily took on the role of fund raising for its Ronald McDonald charity by selling keyrings at �1 each. In two months John raised �1,230! Now he is switching to selling fridge magnets in another fund raising effort for the same charity.
The Barnstaple club's president Keith Rogers proposed, when he took up office, to do as much as possible to help the area's youth, especially those with a disability, and the Young Achiever Award is the first step towards this, with John its first winner.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of judges Robert Ingram said: "He is the first and he will take some beating."
The Ronald McDonald charity is a worldwide charity which in this country provides support for families with children in hospital, including providing families with free accommodation near to their hospitalised children.The charity has 14 houses, 29 sets of family rooms and more than 400 bedrooms, with more on the way.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
Barnstaple Link Rotary club is now appealing for nominations for a young person to receive the 2011 award in what is now an annual event.