Job-seeker's layby advert works a treat
A BARNSTAPLE job-seeker has gone to extreme measures to find himself work. Daniel John, 35, spent two days in a layby on the busy A39 with a homemade sign saying Work needed — Will do any job . Mr John, who lives in Forches with his wife and two teenage
A BARNSTAPLE job-seeker has gone to extreme measures to find himself work.
Daniel John, 35, spent two days in a layby on the busy A39 with a homemade sign saying "Work needed - Will do any job".
Mr John, who lives in Forches with his wife and two teenage children, has applied unsuccessfully for 258 jobs since moving to North Devon from Risca, South Wales, three months ago.
The family relocated to the area in July but Mr John found himself out of work and facing mounting bills after a guaranteed security job at a holiday camp fell through. Mr John said he was "fed up" with unemployment and that he planned to stay in the layby until he was offered work. But there was good news yesterday (Tuesday) as his desperate efforts were rewarded when he was offered a job by an Exeter-based security firm with clients in North Devon.
You may also want to watch:
Mr John told the Gazette: "A member of the Directorate for Employers based at Petroc saw me at the roadside on Friday and got in contact to help me set up an interview.
"They rang round lots of security firms and bent over backwards to help me. The firm offered me a job on the spot; I'm over the moon and so are my wife and kids. I'm looking forward to getting started - I can't wait to get my first wage packet."
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 3 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
n Daniel John in the layby.