Job-seeker's layby advert works a treat
A BARNSTAPLE job-seeker has gone to extreme measures to find himself work. Daniel John, 35, spent two days in a layby on the busy A39 with a homemade sign saying Work needed — Will do any job . Mr John, who lives in Forches with his wife and two teenage
A BARNSTAPLE job-seeker has gone to extreme measures to find himself work.
Daniel John, 35, spent two days in a layby on the busy A39 with a homemade sign saying "Work needed - Will do any job".
Mr John, who lives in Forches with his wife and two teenage children, has applied unsuccessfully for 258 jobs since moving to North Devon from Risca, South Wales, three months ago.
The family relocated to the area in July but Mr John found himself out of work and facing mounting bills after a guaranteed security job at a holiday camp fell through. Mr John said he was "fed up" with unemployment and that he planned to stay in the layby until he was offered work. But there was good news yesterday (Tuesday) as his desperate efforts were rewarded when he was offered a job by an Exeter-based security firm with clients in North Devon.
You may also want to watch:
Mr John told the Gazette: "A member of the Directorate for Employers based at Petroc saw me at the roadside on Friday and got in contact to help me set up an interview.
"They rang round lots of security firms and bent over backwards to help me. The firm offered me a job on the spot; I'm over the moon and so are my wife and kids. I'm looking forward to getting started - I can't wait to get my first wage packet."
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
n Daniel John in the layby.