Jed’s Orange Army of volunteers raise £2,000 with benefit gig
- Credit: Submitted
A benefit gig has raised more than £2,000 for a North Devon plumber whose friends and family are raising cash to pay for pioneering cancer treatment.
Jed Mason has been diagnosed with stage four stomach cancer but has been told the NHS can no longer help him.
After a meeting with specialists at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London, Jed's family are aiming to raise around £100,000 to give him a fighting chance using new cancer drugs and chemotherapy technology.
So far, they have raised £70,000 for the private treatment that is expected to involve around six months of weekly trips and stopovers at the Royal Marsden clinic.
Friends and family are pulling together to help raise money towards the private treatment costs and travel expenses.
The Friends of Jed Mason Benefit Gig with Soul Intention took place at Barnstaple Social Club last Friday, November 19, and raised £2,139.26.
This money was only raised thanks to the support of a myriad of people including Soul Intention, the Barnstaple Social Club, the many individuals and businesses who donated raffle prizes and auction lots, the 100-plus people who bought tickets and donated on the night.
- 1 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 6 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 7 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 8 OPINION: Could you breath only through a straw? - North Devon Hospice
- 9 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 10 OPINION: Carbon Colonialism, COP26 and Black Friday - Daisy Snow
Jed’s Orange Army of volunteers and Jed, who attended the event virtually, would like to thank everyone who supported the event.
The support Jed has received since his diagnosis has been amazing but he still has a little way to go to get to his revised target. If you would like to support Jed, you can do so via this link https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/jed-mason
If you are organising a fundraiser for Jed, the organisers have a couple of “Friends of Jed” T-shirts, lots of ready-made orange bows and some large orange buckets to 'recycle'. Contact Terry on 07980 420754 for further information.