Ivan is Ilfracombe’s Citizen of the Year
Chairman of Ilfracombe in Bloom - and many other things - wins 2012 award.
A man who has done so many things for Ilfracombe has been named Citizen of the Year by the town council.
Ivan Frances will be known to most people, whether as the courteous shop assistant at Pedlars in the High Street, governor of the Junior School or chairman of Ilfracombe in Bloom.
Handing out the overall accolade of the Pride in Ilfracombe Awards as his last official duty as Mayor, Councillor Rod Donovan said it was the hard work by Ivan and his fellow volunteers which ensured the town won gold in the annual South West in Bloom competition.
“He was town and district councillor for a while, churchwarden and a big part of Ilfracombe Poverty Action Group, helping disadvantaged people in the town,” said Mr Donovan.
You may also want to watch:
“He never stops, he is always doing something.”
Mr Frances was nominated for his initial ward in November – for several categories.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Accepting his award, a modest Mr Frances said the successes were down to the hours put in by many volunteers.
“If it was not for volunteers, all of us doing our part, what would this town be like?” he said.
“The community spirit is outstanding, that’s why people move here, because they want to be part of this community.”