It's sticky; but the mud's no show stopper
NO amount of mud, glorious mud could ruin this year s North Devon Show, which went ahead despite weeks of wet weather earlier today. Much of the main show thoroughfares were well churned up before the crowds even arrived, as tractors came to the rescue of
NO amount of mud, glorious mud could ruin this year's North Devon Show, which went ahead despite weeks of wet weather earlier today.
Much of the main show thoroughfares were well churned up before the crowds even arrived, as tractors came to the rescue of many exhibitors stranded in the early morning mud.
Thousands of visitors came well prepared with pairs of rubber boots - and even those who didn't soon got into the squelch of the occasion. Some even abandoned their shoes to go barefoot and enjoy more a wallow, than walk, around the hundreds of attractions.
But despite it being extremely wet underfoot, the 43rd annual show - being held at Bellevue Aerodrome, Huntshaw Cross for the last time before switching to Umberleigh next year - was blessed with dry weather and plenty of spells of warm sunshine.
This year's show also had celebrity feel to it as television personality James May stopped by to drum up support for a world record attempt at building the longest model railway, later this month.
The stunt, taking place between Bideford and Barnstaple on the Traka Trail on August 24, is being filmed for a new BBC TV series, "James May's Toy Stories", in which the presenter will attempt to get children and adults playing traditional games together again.
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 3 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 4 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 5 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 8 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 9 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 10 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
For a full North Devon Show report and pictures, see next week's North Devon Gazette.