It’s on yer bikes for council leaders
Council leaders across Devon will be joining forces on a tough cycle challenge next month, to raise funds for a specialist cycle for people with mobility problems.
Devon County Council’s cabinet members, Cllr Andrea Davis, (Children and Health) and Cllr Will Mumford (Economy, Enterprise and Employment) will join North Devon Council’s Leader Cllr Brian Greenslade and Councillor Geoff Fowler, Tavistock Town Councillor Brian Trew and Mayor Cllr Sanders to take on the 102-mile coast to coast cycle challenge from Ilfracombe to Plymouth.
They will be joined by officers from Devon County Council, including Chief Executive Dr Phil Norrey, and from North Devon Council and event organisers Ilfracombe Town Council.
Sponsorship is being raised by the team, and the participants are aiming to reach the �1,700 target to buy a recumbent hand cycle suitable for people with mobility disabilities, which can be borrowed free along the trail.
The Ilfracombe to Okehampton section of the ride will take place on Saturday September 3rd, with the remainder, from Okehampton to Plymouth, being completed on Sunday 4th.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Davis said: “I’ve been training hard for this challenge, and as the lead member for health I feel that it’s a great opportunity to lead by example, as well as helping raise money for a great piece of equipment for people with disabilities to use on the trail - which will benefit both local residents and visitors alike.
“And I’ll be taking my children with me to show them the benefits of outdoor exercise.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 4 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 5 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 10 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
“This challenge has been a great way of working with colleagues in other councils to raise funds and get healthier.”
Councillor Greenslade said: “The council’s Chief Executive Mike Mansell and I are going to be getting on our bikes in support of this worthy cause.
“It means, by raising money for this special bike, even more people will be able to access the coast-to-coast cycle path. This in turn means even more people will be able to enjoy the stunning scenery we have here in North Devon, whilst keeping fit at the same time.”
Councillor Mumford said:“As a keen cyclist, I am delighted to take this challenge along such a picturesque route and for such a worthy cause.”