It’s Barum or Bust for cycling challenge
- Credit: Archant
Team of 20 North Devon cyclists will be travelling 300-miles in a three-day challenge for Breakthrough breast cancer charity.
A GROUP of keen cyclists will be riding from Blackpool to Barnstaple in just three days to raise money for Breakthrough, a breast cancer charity.
On Monday the 20 cyclists will set off from Blackpool to start their 300-mile ‘Barum or Bust’ challenge back to Barnstaple.
The team has already raised £3,500, including more than £600 from a day in Green Lanes last weekend with the Bike Shed, and are hoping to raise a total of £10,000.
All of the cyclists know each other and are a mix of relatives and friends who all share a love of cycling.
You may also want to watch:
Inspiration for the challenge came from Andy Unstead and Bryn Elliot who both live in Barnstaple and have personal family experiences of this terrible disease.
Andy’s sister Debbie was diagnosed with and went through the fight against breast cancer, as well as Bryn’s wife Jo who was diagnosed earlier this year.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
Both Debbie and Jo have had to face the reality of mastectomies and the long road of both chemotherapy and radiotherapy in order to beat breast cancer.
On Wednesday, July 31, the group will be welcomed at the finish line from 4pm in the Square with cream teas and refreshments supplied by Brend Hotels who are sponsoring the event.
There will also be a DJ, bouncy castle and entertainment to make sure the challenge finished with a bang.
To keep up to date with the challenge, visit www.barumorbust.com.