It is inexcusable
SIR - There was an uplifting article in last week’s Gazette titled “Agricentre Plan will transform Town”.
It referred to plans to move the livestock market. Sadly, for South Molton, it referred to Holsworthy. One paragraph in the article makes the failure to regenerate South Molton by moving its livestock market even more galling.
“District, town and parish councils are working together to deliver the project, which it is planned to finance by the development of the current livestock site, with public consultation showing support for a new food store and housing there.”
The same policy was supposed to have applied to South Molton and could have moved the market at any time in the last decade. For some reason, the previous North Devon District administration committed itself to an agenda which failed to move the market and achieve the best financial returns for the council.
The current administration has endorsed that agenda. They could put the current livestock market site up for sale by auction, which would finance a timely market move and provide additional sorely needed millions for the district coffers.
You may also want to watch:
But they will not do it, which is inexcusable. There is something rotten about this whole sorry saga.
Tony Martin, South Molton.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects