Is North Devon suffering Diamond Jubilee apathy?
Just four street party applications received as road closure deadline looms.
DEVON County Council said it has received just four applications for Diamond Jubilee street parties in North Devon and Torridge ahead of the deadline on Friday, April 20.
County-wide, more than 50 applications have been received for events needing road closure notices during the extended Bank Holiday from June 2-5.
The notice period for closures has been reduced from three months to six weeks, especially for the occasion, but people only have a few weeks left to apply.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, the council’s cabinet member for highways and transportation, said: “The county council is doing all it can to make it as easy as possible for people to hold an event in their community but there’s not long to go now and people must get their applications to us before the deadline of April 20.
You may also want to watch:
“What better way to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee than with a street party?”
Anyone planning a party can apply for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a minor road, free of charge.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
Organisers will only face a charge if No Waiting Cones are needed. Street party organisers simply have to fill out an application form and a declaration.
For more information call 0845 1551004, email email@example.com or visit www.devon.gov.uk/ttrostreetparty where you can also download an application form.
Are you organising an event for the Diamond Jubilee, or planning to hold a street party? Telephone the newsdesk on 01271 345056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org