Is giant pumpkin North Devon’s biggest?
- Credit: Archant
Supersize squash pips the rest, say Funderzone staff.
IT was a bit of a squash to get this supersize pumpkin through the front door – but staff at Barnstaple’s Funderzone say it’s the perfect addition to their Hallowee’en preparations.
The giant specimen – thought to be North Devon’s biggest – has been drawing gasps and double-takes since its arrival at the soft play attraction just over a week ago.
Manager Jody Richards said they’d been unable to find a pair of scales large enough to weigh it but estimated it topped the 400lb mark.
“We think it’s North Devon’s biggest pumpkin,” Jody told the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“Lots of people have commented about it and many have asked if it’s actually real. Someone even asked if they could buy it but unfortunately it’s not for sale.”
The impressive pumpkin is not quite a record-breaker. Earlier this month, a gardener from Dorset claimed a UK record for the heaviest with a 1,520lb whopper, although even that was some way short of the world’s heaviest pumpkin, an American monster which weighed in at 2,009lb in 2012.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
The Funderzone pumpkin was grown locally and delivered by Ian Manix of Braunton-based Edd’s Greengrocers.
“One of Ian’s suppliers said he’d grown a giant pumpkin and Ian asked us if we wanted it,” said Jody.
“It’s the first time we’ve ever had a pumpkin like this on display but it’s certainly been a great talking point.”
Funderzone is getting into the Hallowe’en spirit during half-term week and is holding a family-friendly spookfest on Thursday evening from 7-9pm.
Tickets are available on (01271) 328328.
Have you grown a bigger pumpkin? Send us your pictures to email@example.com or tell us about it by calling the newsdesk on 01271 345056.