Ironman launches new North Devon Paddle for Life event
Nick Thorn invites surfers and paddlers to join him on Ilfracombe charity paddle this Sunday
A CHARITY paddle in aid of Children’s Hospice South West is taking place in Ilfracombe this Sunday.
The first annual Paddle for Life, organised by North Devon “ironman” Nick Thorn, will start from Ilfracombe Yacht Club, with registration from 9.30am and the first race at 11am.
There will be a variety of open sponsored paddle events but the two main routes will see entrants paddling from Ilfracombe to Hele Bay or Watermouth and back.
The event is open to all types of paddle craft, including surf or paddle boards plus canoes and kayaks.
You may also want to watch:
Yacht club members will line the route with their boats and there will be refreshments plus prize giving back at the club afterwards.
As well as the fastest time, there will be awards for the most sponsorship raised, best fancy dress entrant and the wooden spoon!
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 7 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
Nick, who recently completed an epic gruelling paddle from Hartland to Croyde via Lundy Island on behalf of the hospice, has paddled the route himself in the past.
“We would love as many people as possible to turn out,” he said.
“My paddle was a bit extreme, but this is a good start for anyone who would like to aim at a challenge of their own.”
Emma Perry, community fundraiser for the hospice is looking for teams and individuals to sign up for the event:
“It promises to be an action packed fun filled day for the whole family and one that will raise vital funds for life-limited children,” she said.
For exact timings and race details, or to register your interest, contact Emma Perry via email@example.com or call (01271) 325270.