Iron man attempts Lundy solo swim
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday). The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday).
The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
At 19.8 miles, the beach-to-beach swim is almost the same distance as the cross channel swim from Dover to Calais. A team of four swimmers successfully completed a relay Lundy swim last summer and the only other known similar swim attempt was from Hartland Point to Lundy by Egyptian army captain Hassan Abdel Rahim in 1952.
Nick, who runs his own surf school in Woolacombe, previously completed the route on a paddle board in three hours 52 minutes, raising �2,000 for charity in the process. This time, he hopes to smash his previous target in aid of Children's Hospice South West.
You may also want to watch:
"This is going to be my biggest challenge without a doubt," said Nick, who has competed in numerous Ironman and surf lifesaving events worldwide.
"The currents are a little trickier than in the English Channel and the cold will be a big factor too, as to comply with British Long Distance Swimming Association rules and have the time recorded officially, I have to swim in trunks without wetsuit."
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 4 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 9 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 10 Take on an Incredible Hike for Children’s Hospice South West
Readers can sponsor him at: www.justgiving.com/nickthorn