Iron man attempts Lundy solo swim
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday). The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday).
The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
At 19.8 miles, the beach-to-beach swim is almost the same distance as the cross channel swim from Dover to Calais. A team of four swimmers successfully completed a relay Lundy swim last summer and the only other known similar swim attempt was from Hartland Point to Lundy by Egyptian army captain Hassan Abdel Rahim in 1952.
Nick, who runs his own surf school in Woolacombe, previously completed the route on a paddle board in three hours 52 minutes, raising �2,000 for charity in the process. This time, he hopes to smash his previous target in aid of Children's Hospice South West.
"This is going to be my biggest challenge without a doubt," said Nick, who has competed in numerous Ironman and surf lifesaving events worldwide.
"The currents are a little trickier than in the English Channel and the cold will be a big factor too, as to comply with British Long Distance Swimming Association rules and have the time recorded officially, I have to swim in trunks without wetsuit."
- 1 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 2 North Devon’s Christmas Farmers Markets back at The Big Sheep for 2021
- 3 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 4 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 5 North Devon Rugby Ramble returns for 2022
- 6 Children's Hospice South West opens new shop in Barnstaple
- 7 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 8 Sons remember Exmoor legend at Light Up a Life
- 9 Council to ask government to lower uniform costs for 'people struggling financially'
- 10 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
Readers can sponsor him at: www.justgiving.com/nickthorn