Iron man attempts Lundy solo swim
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday). The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
NORTH Devon Ironman Nick Thorn is set to attempt the first ever solo swim from Lundy Island to Woolacombe tomorrow (Thursday).
The 34-year-old surf lifesaver and instructor will take to the water off Lundy at 1pm, aiming to reach the mainland by 7.30pm.
At 19.8 miles, the beach-to-beach swim is almost the same distance as the cross channel swim from Dover to Calais. A team of four swimmers successfully completed a relay Lundy swim last summer and the only other known similar swim attempt was from Hartland Point to Lundy by Egyptian army captain Hassan Abdel Rahim in 1952.
Nick, who runs his own surf school in Woolacombe, previously completed the route on a paddle board in three hours 52 minutes, raising �2,000 for charity in the process. This time, he hopes to smash his previous target in aid of Children's Hospice South West.
You may also want to watch:
"This is going to be my biggest challenge without a doubt," said Nick, who has competed in numerous Ironman and surf lifesaving events worldwide.
"The currents are a little trickier than in the English Channel and the cold will be a big factor too, as to comply with British Long Distance Swimming Association rules and have the time recorded officially, I have to swim in trunks without wetsuit."
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
Readers can sponsor him at: www.justgiving.com/nickthorn