Instow school site search is shelved
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow s new school. The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann. He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schoo
DEVON County Council has given up its search for a site for Instow's new school.
The bombshell news was revealed in an answer to a question posed by local Independent county councillor Rodney Cann.
He asked Cllr Christine Channon, Cabinet Member for Schools Skills, what progress had been made in identifying a site for the new school at Instow.
She replied: The replacement of Instow Primary School does not form part of the current capital programme.
You may also want to watch:
"Considerable officer and consultants time was put towards identifying a potential new school site, but in light of the proposed area review for Bideford Learning Community (which will include Instow Primary School) due later this year the Cabinet Member for Schools Skills has concluded that further investigation should not take place until the outcome of the area review is known."
The county council has been searching for a new school site in Instow for more than 12 years. Two sites were finally identified and a planning application on one of them was withdrawn last year.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
Mr Cann said: "This is a bombshell that puts an enormous question mark on the badly needed new school provision at Instow.
"I know many local people will be shocked and dismayed that after all our efforts at best the new school site is put on hold and at worst that we will not be having a new school.
"Instow is being badly let down by the new administration at County Hall. Mrs Channon should think again and give us our new school.