Instow sailor rescued
A sailor was rescued from the sea at Instow on Saturday morning after falling between his tender and his moored boat and spending 20 minutes in the water. Fortunately he was wearing a lifejacket, which kept him afloat until a lifeboat and a helicopter re
A sailor was rescued from the sea at Instow on Saturday morning after falling between his tender and his moored boat and spending 20 minutes in the water. Fortunately he was wearing a lifejacket, which kept him afloat until a lifeboat and a helicopter reached him.
The man is reported to be from the local area and 50 years old.
Swansea Coastguard received a 999 call reporting that a man had gone into the water off his mooring near Instow Beach and was clinging to the side of the boat, but unable to get out of the water. Appledore RNLI inshore lifeboat, a rescue helicopter from Chivenor, Instow Coastguard Rescue Team and an ambulance were called to the scene..
Crew from the lifeboat took the man out of the water and transferred him to shore before he was transferred to North Devon District Hospital to be checked over.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Jones, Swansea Coastguard Watch Manager, said: "We are happy with the successful rescue of this man and wearing a lifejacket has proved again to be so vital. The conditions were quite benign, but once you spend more than a few minutes in cold water, tiredness and hypothermia can take effect and you will struggle to keep yourself afloat.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton