Instow’s ‘eco warriors’ give dunes a spring clean
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters offer helping hand to spruce up local beach.
YOUNG eco warriors from Instow Community Primary School have armed themselves wit grabbers and bin bags to give their local beach a spring clean.
A team of around 30 pupils – and teachers and local parish councillors – helped spruce up an area of sand dunes at Instow.
They were given special vests and litter pickers, items now available to any likeminded groups wanting to do their bit for the environment.
The gear has been purchased for Fremington, Lovacott, Instow and Westleigh parish councils through Devon County Council and North Devon Council’s Town and Parish (TAP) Fund.
You may also want to watch:
Grants are available for parishes if they can show they are working in partnership with each other.
The county council is providing one pound for every elector in the district and the district council is topping up this amount by 10 pence per elector.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
Fremington Parish Council chairman Cllr Rodney Cann, who helped secure the funding, said: “This is an excellent example of parish councils working together and sharing resources.
“There has been a growing interest in volunteering for clean-up operations in recent years so we’ve put the equipment in place to encourage local groups to take an active interest in the environment and make it easy for them to do so.
“Without the help of volunteers, ‘off the beat and track’ areas like the sand dunes would never get cleaned up.
“The kit is available for anyone – young or old – by arrangement with the Fremington Parish Council offices.”