Instow reaffirmed as a quality council
INSTOW Parish Council is celebrating the receipt of a certificate to confirm its place as one of the first councils in the county to gain re-accreditation of Quality Parish Status. When it originally gained the quality status in 2005 Instow was one of onl
INSTOW Parish Council is celebrating the receipt of a certificate to confirm its place as one of the first councils in the county to gain re-accreditation of Quality Parish Status.
When it originally gained the quality status in 2005 Instow was one of only 16 towns and parishes in the county to do so and the second in North Devon.
It has remained at the forefront, attaining more stringent and complex criteria before in February becoming one of the first five Quality Parish Councils in Devon to gain its re-accreditation.
At the same time, Instow adopted the Power of Well Being - a Government-led initiative designed to extend the power to councils to promote or improve the economic, social or environmental wellbeing of the area they represent.
You may also want to watch:
In doing so it became one of the first 47 councils out of 9,000 nationwide to adopt the POWB.
Lesley Smith of the Devon Association of Parish Councils, said this put the small council at the forefront of town and parish councils in the country - something local people should be proud of.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 5 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 6 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 9 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
- 10 Christine Stephenson found safe and well
Parish clerk Roger Jacob said: "I am delighted that Instow has been recognised in this fashion and retained its much sought-after accolade.
"Instow is a wonderful community to serve and represent. Everyone, without exception, pulls together in a most proactive and positive manner, with the end result that most, if not all, goals and aspirations are achieved.
"The parish council also has an excellent and practical working relationship with both the district and county councils. It is all about teamwork and working together in harmony for the good of the parish."
County councillor Rodney Cann said: This is a well deserved recognition of a first class, well-run parish council, which sets the standard in North Devon. Special mention should be made of the clerk, who is outstanding in the manner that he undertakes his duties.