Indoor snow no problem for Isla at North Devon District Hospital
YOU wait all year for the chance to go out and play in the snow; then when it comes you re stuck in hospital with a poorly leg! Three year-old Isla Luhr could only watch last week s heavy snow fall from her hospital bed at North Devon District Hospital. T
YOU wait all year for the chance to go out and play in the snow; then when it comes you're stuck in hospital with a poorly leg!
Three year-old Isla Luhr could only watch last week's heavy snow fall from her hospital bed at North Devon District Hospital. The young patient has been staying at the Caroline Thorpe Ward for two weeks after an accident with a falling timber gate led to her needing traction for an injured leg.
But when the snow arrived, playworker Fran Greenaway, went out into the ward's outdoor play area and half built a snowman from the fresh snow. Then Fran, together with the other staff and Isla's dad, Darrin, laid a tarpaulin around Isla's bed and carried the snowman-in-progress indoors in a large tray. Armed with a few carrots, Isla, her dad and Fran finished and decorated the special snowman together.
Darrin said: "Isla was quite worried that the snowman would melt. So when he was finished we took him back outside and built a bigger snowman to look after him."
You may also want to watch:
Isla's mum, Clare, added: "After a few days they wheeled Isla's bed outside so that she could check the snowman was still OK.
"Isla has been in two weeks now and it was nice for her to have a break and do something different. I've been very impressed with all of the nurses on the ward - and Fran's been brilliant, coming in with something new to distract Isla every day."
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted