Indoor snow no problem for Isla at North Devon District Hospital
YOU wait all year for the chance to go out and play in the snow; then when it comes you re stuck in hospital with a poorly leg! Three year-old Isla Luhr could only watch last week s heavy snow fall from her hospital bed at North Devon District Hospital. T
YOU wait all year for the chance to go out and play in the snow; then when it comes you're stuck in hospital with a poorly leg!
Three year-old Isla Luhr could only watch last week's heavy snow fall from her hospital bed at North Devon District Hospital. The young patient has been staying at the Caroline Thorpe Ward for two weeks after an accident with a falling timber gate led to her needing traction for an injured leg.
But when the snow arrived, playworker Fran Greenaway, went out into the ward's outdoor play area and half built a snowman from the fresh snow. Then Fran, together with the other staff and Isla's dad, Darrin, laid a tarpaulin around Isla's bed and carried the snowman-in-progress indoors in a large tray. Armed with a few carrots, Isla, her dad and Fran finished and decorated the special snowman together.
Darrin said: "Isla was quite worried that the snowman would melt. So when he was finished we took him back outside and built a bigger snowman to look after him."
You may also want to watch:
Isla's mum, Clare, added: "After a few days they wheeled Isla's bed outside so that she could check the snowman was still OK.
"Isla has been in two weeks now and it was nice for her to have a break and do something different. I've been very impressed with all of the nurses on the ward - and Fran's been brilliant, coming in with something new to distract Isla every day."
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 4 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021