In the saddle for the chemo appeal
Young farmers show they’re not sheepish about fund-raising
YOUNG farmers from Woolsery are the latest fund-raisers to saddle-up for North Devon’s Chemotherapy Unit Appeal.
Around 20 members of the Woolsery Young Farmers Club will be jumping on their bikes and cycling 60 miles to Newquay next week in aid of the �2.2million campaign.
The intrepid youngsters, from Woolsery and surrounding villages, including Hartland, Parkham, Huntshaw, Milton Damerel and Frithelstock, will be completing the five-hour sponsored cycle dressed as sheep and sheepdogs.
They’ll be setting off from the Woolsery Sports and Community Hall at 8am on Friday, March 11 and other members of the 35-strong club will be providing back-up from a convoy of support vehicles.
You may also want to watch:
The group decided to support the chemotherapy appeal after reading about the launch in the Gazette.
Chairman Richard Harding said: “We’re all going down to Newquay for the annual South West young farmers’ meet and decided to try and do something that weekend to support the hospital’s chemotherapy appeal.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 7 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 10 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
“Our parents will be driving down our luggage in a cattle box.
“We’ve been in training and we’ve distributed lots of sponsor forms so we hope people will sponsor us and help us to raise money for the appeal,” he added.
To find out more about the appeal and ways in which you can help, visit the campaign website – www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/charity or telephone fund-raising manager Ian Roome on (01271) 311772 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, visit the special appeal page on the Gazette website – www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/chemotherapy-unit-appeal