IN PICTURES: Record numbers see in the New Year in North Devon
Thousands take to the streets to celebrate the arrival of 2013.
THOUSANDS of revellers turned out across North Devon to see in the New Year in style, with record numbers reported in Bideford and Barnstaple.
Bideford is thought to have enjoyed the biggest turn out for a number of years, with an estimated 40,000-plus people thronging the quay to await the arrival of 2013.
The event enjoyed a James Bond-style theme, with live music, competitions and a firework display at midnight.
Organisers of the sixth Barnstaple New Year’s Eve Celebrations announced a record amount of revellers filled Barnstaple Square in the countdown to midnight.
You may also want to watch:
All age groups enjoyed the family orientated festivities hosted by DJ James Chapple and thousands took part in a Gangnam Style dance routine before fireworks over the River Taw welcomed the New Year.
“The committee would like to thank the team of stewards who gave up their new years eve to keep our event safe,” said chairman Ian Roome.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
“Our security team and the police also did a fantastic job. Now it’s time to begin organising the 2013 event.”