IN PICTURES: Record numbers see in the New Year in North Devon
Thousands take to the streets to celebrate the arrival of 2013.
THOUSANDS of revellers turned out across North Devon to see in the New Year in style, with record numbers reported in Bideford and Barnstaple.
Bideford is thought to have enjoyed the biggest turn out for a number of years, with an estimated 40,000-plus people thronging the quay to await the arrival of 2013.
The event enjoyed a James Bond-style theme, with live music, competitions and a firework display at midnight.
Organisers of the sixth Barnstaple New Year’s Eve Celebrations announced a record amount of revellers filled Barnstaple Square in the countdown to midnight.
You may also want to watch:
All age groups enjoyed the family orientated festivities hosted by DJ James Chapple and thousands took part in a Gangnam Style dance routine before fireworks over the River Taw welcomed the New Year.
“The committee would like to thank the team of stewards who gave up their new years eve to keep our event safe,” said chairman Ian Roome.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
“Our security team and the police also did a fantastic job. Now it’s time to begin organising the 2013 event.”