Improvements to Barnstaple’s sewers
A �135,000 scheme is taking place this autumn to improve Barnstaple’s sewer network.
South West Water and its partners are refurbishing 402 metres of sewer in the town.
Following discussions with Barnstaple town management and traders, work will start in Barnstaple on Monday,September 12, and is due to be completed within four weeks, finishing by October 7.
The work has been planned for the autumn months to avoid affecting Barnstaple’s summer tourist trade. Work in the town centre will take place at night to minimise the effect on traders.
Sewers will be lined or replaced in the Victoria Street and Yeo Vale Road areas and in the town centre around the Pannier Market and surrounding roads.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is part of a five-year �42 million investment in the sewer network across the region to renovate sewers identified as being at risk of collapse and to alleviate potential flooding problems.
Project manager Stephen Cross said: “This is a real investment in Barnstaple. Without this necessary work, the sewer network will continue to deteriorate. That can lead to collapses, which cause pollution, flooding and odour. We will be working hard to minimise disruption to the public and businesses as far as possible while completing these essential works, including working overnight in the town centre.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow