Grand plans to create ‘focal point’ on Ilfracombe Wetherspoon roof garden
- Credit: Archant
Plans to put a suspended ceiling inside a glass dome of the Ilfracombe Wetherspoon pub have been revealed
The scheme for The Admiral Collingwood on the seafront, submitted to North Devon Council, would create a covered seating area and ‘focal point’ on the roof top garden.
JD Wetherspoon has lodged plans to remove the glazing at the lower section of the existing dome and install a built-up floor.
The dome will have banquette seating and a central sculpture, allowing visitors to appreciate the ‘exceptional view’ from a covered area, the statement with the planning application says.
The lower glazing of the dome would be removed to provide pub-goers with shelter on the roof garden.
You may also want to watch:
The site was formerly occupied by The Collingwood Hotel, which was demolished to make way for the new building.
It was named after Admiral, Lord Collingwood, Nelson’s second-in-command at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 4 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 5 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 10 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
North Devon Council planners will determine the fate of the application at a later date.