Ilfracombe Victorians step out for anniversary
The annual Victorian Celebrations mark their 25th year this week with a huge programme of events.
WITH a snap of starch and a crinkle of crinoline Ilfracombe Victorian Celebrations got under way on Saturday.
Led by Barnstaple Town Youth Marching Band and ‘Queen Victoria’ herself, a parade of impeccably costumed characters made their way through the High Street to the traditional Trinity Fair at St Brannocks Vicarage.
It is the 25th anniversary of the celebrations and there is still a whole host of Victoriana-related events suitable for all ages and tastes in the coming days.
Today (Thursday) from 10.30am-4pm there is a Victorian Olympics at Bicclescombe Park, with community transport available from the Landmark Theatre. Enjoy a ‘good old knees up’ with a Pearlies Evening at Gazpachos on the seafront at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Friday sees Shoppers Morning in the High Street from 10.30am – browse the emporiums and discuss the gossip of the Empire.
A Grand Ball is taking place at the Landmark Pavilion from 7.30pm. Call 01271 324242 for information.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
On Saturday there is a children’s talent competition at Mr Alexander’s Theatre on Landmark green from 11am and at 12 noon the rowdy Suffragettes movement will be parading along the High Street.
The day concludes with music and entertainment along the seafront from 7.30pm and a grand firework display on Capstone at 10.15.
A grand closing parade will take place at 3pm along the seafront on Sunday.
On Thursday and Friday there will be craft sessions in the morning at Ilfracombe Museum plus the opportunity to visit a Victorian costumer on Friday and Saturday, as well as browse a variety of displays.
There is much more to see and do – go to www.ilfracombevictoriancelebration.org.uk to find out more.