Ilfracombe students invited to give blood
- Credit: Archant
NHS Blood and Transplant service spending day at college in a recruitment drive for young donors.
STUDENTS in Ilfracombe have been finding out how they could become life savers as part of a regional campaign to recruit more blood donors.
Today (Tuesday) NHS Blood and Transplant staff are visiting Ilfracombe Arts College as part of the Step Up, Sign Up, Share campaign, in connection with its National Activity Week which began yesterday (Monday).
The students heard more about blood donation and were encouraged to sign up if they wished and to spread the word. They also met a young blood recipient and blood donors to hear their stories.
NHS Blood and Transplant needs more than 1,000 new registrations every day to replace those donors who can no longer donate and young people are especially important.
They make up around 40 per cent of new donors, but the number of 17-24 year olds registering has fallen in recent years, prompting a drive to recruit more lifesavers of the future.
“We are really grateful to the students and staff at Ilfracombe Arts College for signing up and supporting this campaign,” said Geraldine Parker, NHS Blood and Transplant’s lead donor relations manager for Devon.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 9 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls
- 10 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
“We welcome all eligible new donors but especially need young people to come forward – they are the life savers of the future.
“Facebook and Twitter are a great way to spread the word so sign up and help us recruit more blood donors.”
There is an NHS Blood Donation Facebook page and @GiveBloodNHS Twitter address allowing people to keep up with blood donation news and spread the word.
To find out if you are eligible to become a donor and to register, visit www.blood.co.uk or call us on 0300 123 23 23.