Ilfracombe shop wants old phones for record attempt
THE Scope shop in Ilfracombe is calling on local people to hand in their old mobile phones and help the charity set a new world record at the same time. Scope is asking anyone who received a swish new mobile for Christmas to donate their old handset to ch
THE Scope shop in Ilfracombe is calling on local people to hand in their old mobile phones and help the charity set a new world record at the same time.
Scope is asking anyone who received a swish new mobile for Christmas to donate their old handset to charity by dropping it in to the Ilfracombe Scope shop between Friday, January 8 and Friday 15.
The charity has teamed up with recycling partner Redeem Plc and hopes to break the Guinness World Record for collecting the greatest number of used mobile phones donated in one week.
Scope receives a cash donation for every phone donated, to help continue its work on behalf of disabled people, but only those phones received during the week of January 9-15 will count as part of the record attempt.
You may also want to watch:
It is estimated that there are more than one million old handsets gathering dust in cupboards and drawers in Devon alone.
"We are calling on people to dig out their old phones - and help us ring in the changes for Scope's work with disabled people," said area manager Nick Mitchell.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
"Don't put recycling on hold and dump your phone, donate it to Scope instead! Every phone counts and will bring us a step closer to achieving a new world record breaker.