Ilfracombe’s boat fails to come in
Bad weather deters MV Rotterdam
THERE was huge disappointment this on Sunday as the much anticipated visit to Ilfracombe by the cruise ship MS Rotterdam and its 1,300 visitors was cancelled at the 11th hour.
Harbour Master Rob Lawson was contacted by Captain de Vries of the Holland America vessel late yesterday to say she would not be calling in because weather predictions indicated it would be unsafe to land passengers.
The mainly American visitors would have been brought ashore by the ship’s motor launches and the captain felt not only would landing be unsafe, but it would be difficult to return passengers to the Rotterdam in the afternoon, with winds predicted to increase.
“It’s unfortunate that conditions are actually quite calm this morning, but they have to make these decisions early to plan routes,” said mr Lawson.
“It’s a real shame for Ilfracombe and in particular it’s sad for the people who put in so much work to make the visit a success.”
A range of entertainment had been put on to greet the passengers, with bands, musicians and displays being held at the pier, the seafront and Landmark.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
Most, if not all, of the entertainers had given their time free of charge for the benefit of the visit.
North Devon Council, Ilfracombe Town Council and many others had worked together to put on the welcoming activities and ensure all was ready for the ship’s arrival.
They will continue as planned today and anyone who had intended to visit Ilfracombe is urged to go ahead because there is still plenty to see and do. The High Street Traders decided to open today and by mid-morning the street was very busy, despite the absence of the American visitors.
The town still has the visit of the slightly smaller MS Prinsendam to look forward to on July 22.