Kayaker in rough seas for 30 minutes rescued by RNLI
- Credit: Archant
A kayaker has been rescued in rough seas near Ilfracombe – and the casualty said the lifejacket he was wearing helped to save his life.
Ilfracombe RNLI launched its inshore lifeboat yesterday (Saturday) afternoon to help a kayaker who was in trouble in the water near Hele Bay.
An RNLI spokesman said: “The sea conditions were exceptionally rough and the casualty had been in the water for almost 30 minutes.”
The kayaker, a man aged in his 30s, was picked up, along with his kayak. The kayaker said he was sure his lifejacket had saved his life.
Inshore lifeboat helmsman Stuart Carpenter said: “It was good to see he had all the relevant safety equipment.
You may also want to watch:
“You should always check the weather conditions and if you are at all unsure please check with your local harbourmaster.”
The casualty was taken to the boathouse to dry off and given appropriate medical advice.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 3 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 4 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 5 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 6 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 7 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs