Ilfracombe RNLI launches for drifting life raft
- Credit: RNLI/Ilfracombe
Both the town’s lifeboats called out for Saturday morning shout off Bull Point.
A drifting life raft off Ilfracombe on Saturday saw both of the town’s lifeboats launched amid fears someone might be in peril.
The RNLI crews found it floating upside down near Bull Point after being alerted by fellow crew member Mark Hutchings, who spotted it off the Tunnels Beaches on his way to work.
But on further checking with the coastguard, the RNLI discovered the raft had been reported missing by the dive boat Pride of Bristol the previous evening.
Carl Perrin, volunteer second coxswain at Ilfracombe RNLI, praised the Pride of Bristol’s crew for alerting the coastguard to their loss in a timely fashion;
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really good the vessel reported their missing life raft as soon as possible,” he said.
“As a result of this it meant once we had established it was theirs, we could stand down from the search for people in the water. It was good for the crew from a training point of view, as it meant they were able to practice their search skills.”
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Anyone who spots anything out of the ordinary at sea, or anything which gives cause for concern, is always asked to call 999 and ask for the coastguard.