Ilfracombe RNLI has had its busiest week of the year so far, responding to six shouts already.

Three of them even came in the same day, with the lifeboat volunteers attending to drifing inflatables, cliff rescues and people cut-off by the tides.

On Monday, the inshore lifeboat (ILB) Deborah Brown II was tasked at 4pm to an inflatable dighy drifting off Ilfracombe.

The lifeboat located the inflatable half a mile north of the harbour with one person aboard.

The casualty told the lifeboat crew that he had gone out for a drift but was unaware of the effect the tide and weather would have on the inflatable craft. The lifeboat escorted him back to the beach.

Ilfracombe ILB was launched again on Tuesday at 11:45am to a kayaker in the water who was clinging to his craft, having fallen out and lost his paddle.

When the lifeboat arrived, the casualty had been towed ashore by a fellow kayaker. The lifeboat crew located him ashore, checked his welfare and reunited him with his lost paddle.

Wednesday was the busiest day of the week for the volunteer crew as they were tasked to three shouts in the same day.

The first was to reports of surfers in trouble off Woolacombe beach. Upon arrival, it was confirmed the casualties were safe and well ashore.

At 2:10pm, the all weather lifeboat (ALB) The Barry and Peggy High Foundation was tasked to assist the ambulance service and Ilfracombe coastguard cliff rescue team with a medical incident at Broadsands beach.

One crew member was placed ashore with a stretcher to assist in treating the casualty.

The casualty was transferred aboard the ALB and transported back to Ilfracombe harbour and a waiting ambulance.

Just as the ALB returned to the harbour, the inshore lifeboat was paged to reports of three people cut off by the tide near Wildersmouth Beach.

The lifeboat recovered the casualties and returned them to safety ashore on the beach.

The ILB was tasked again on Thursday to reports of five people cut off at Hele Bay.

After a brief search of the area, the crew were informed that the casualties had made their own way to safety and returned to the station.

Aboard the ALB for both shouts on Wednesday was volunteer RNLI coxswain Andrew Bengey who had his first shout as coxswain at Ilfracombe exactly 30 years to the day.

Andrew said: 'It was an honour to coxswain the lifeboat for my 30 year anniversary.

"We have been tasked to a wide variety of shouts this week making it the busiest week of the year so far.

"We advise anyone visiting the coast, especially during the hot weather, to remember to respect the water.

"Always check the tide times and weather conditions before you set out. Dial 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard in an emergency.'