Ilfracombe retirement apartments ready in May
Lantern Court, on the site of the Victorian Cliffe Hydro Hotel will open its doors to the first residents shortly.
THE new Lantern Court development on the site of the former Cliffe Hydro Hotel in Ilfracombe should see its first occupants this May.
Developer McCarthy and Stone has said the show complex for the over-60s retirement apartments will be open early in May, with the first residents expected during that month.
The cliff-top complex in Hillsborough Road will contain 42 one and two-bedroom apartments, with stunning views overlooking the Cove side of the harbour.
It replaces the Cliffe Hydro Hotel, once an elegant ambassador for Ilfracombe’s Victorian grandeur that eventually became a derelict eyesore following a string of fires and arson attacks.
You may also want to watch:
McCarthy and Stone demolished the old hotel in 2007 and work began on the new building, but this was hit by delays and construction was suspended during the credit crunch.
Now work is nearing completion. Each property will feature an open plan lounge and dining room, one or two double bedrooms plus a bathroom. The majority have an adjoining kitchen and several also have balconies.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
Developers are also providing underground car parking, landscaped gardens and a communal lounge plus a guest suite for visitors. Prices start from �139,950.
“We have received an overwhelming amount of interest and have already received nine reservations,” said Aileen King, regional sales and marketing director for McCarthy and Stone.
“For anyone looking for retirement living, Lantern Court is in a prime location overlooking Ilfracombe harbour.”
“It is really good to see the building works at Lantern Court are nearing completion and residents will be moving in shortly,” said town council planning chairman Cllr Philip Webb.
“Ilfracombe Town Council’s Development Sites Group has been working closely with McCarthy and Stone to ensure this ambitious project was completed in the spring and it really does look a lovely building particularly when viewed from the harbour.”