Ilfracombe Quay and Victoria Pleasure Grounds set for revamp
- Credit: Peregrine Mears Architects
Ilfracombe’s Quay and Victoria Pleasure Grounds are both set to be renovated if two planning applications are approved.
North Devon Council (NDC) has submitted two applications for improvements to the sites.
The plans for the Quay will see the existing 1950s ticket kiosks removed to open up the entrance, which will be widened.
A new pedestrian crossing will be installed, as well as a new archway on the pier featuring the Quay's historic clock.
The new submission means an application submitted in February to remove the kiosks has been withdrawn.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped the work will be completed in time for the 2020 holiday season.
The second application will see the Victoria Pleasure Grounds regenerated, with the Festival of Britain-style fins from the kiosks relocated to the pleasure grounds and used as a feature for two new kiosks.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
NDC's head of resources, Jon Triggs, said: "We've listened to feedback from Historic England and local residents and believe that the new applications provide an opportunity to really help with the regeneration of the town whilst retaining as many of the original features as possible."
Paul Cooper, associate director at Peregrine Mears Architects, said: "These two projects are a celebration of several key parts of Ilfracombe's public realm and will hopefully enhance the experience of locals and visitors alike.
"It has been an exciting opportunity to work with North Devon Council on this project, in particular the proposed quay archway, which provides a new home for the quay clock, and the new kiosks which secure a future for key features of the old toll booths and help regenerate this part of the Victoria Pleasure Grounds."
Ilfracombe harbour master Georgina Carlo-Paat added: "I'm delighted that this project is moving on to the next step. Work to improve facilities at the quay this year have already been completed with the installation of new, modern, fit for purpose ticket sales kiosks which replace the present function of the old booths.
"Ilfracombe Harbour is a fascinating place to visit for holiday makers and our local residents. I really think these works will make the area more accessible and encourage more people to enjoy what the town has to offer."