Ilfracombe Museum manager retires
Sue steps down from her role after 35 years with the museum
ILFRACOMBE Museum is bidding farewell to manager Sue Pullen after more than 35 years.
She will be handing over the reins of her role as collections manager to Sara Hodson, who has been working with her for the past year.
A retirement celebration will take place at the museum on Wednesday, March 30 at 7.30pm, to which friends, colleagues and volunteers have been invited.
Sue came to live in Ilfracombe at age 14 and as a Girl Guide was asked to gather wild flowers for the museum.
You may also want to watch:
She later became a volunteer, trustee, treasurer and served as collections manager for 13 years. Family history research has been a passion and she has organised and built up the museum archives.
“I shall be sorry to let go of some of the collections, which I have become really fond of,” said Sue.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
“I always enjoyed the research side and met so many relatives of past Ilfracombe inhabitants. Sara came along as a volunteer last winter and I am very lucky she is taking over.”
Sara has a degree in archaeology and worked for Winchester City Council as an archaeologist, but when she moved to Devon had to take a retail job. Dad Mervyn was already a volunteer at Ilfracombe and encouraged her to get involved.
“I didn’t expect to find a job I was so passionate about,” she said. “I have a lot to learn about Ilfracombe history but I am enjoying finding out and having a job where you get results.”