Ilfracombe May Day fun returns
- Credit: Archant
Join ‘Jack-in-the-Green’ and friends for the annual parade, dancing and merriment this May bank holiday Monday (May 6).
THE ‘spirit of summer’ might have his work cut out after months of miserable weather, but that won’t dampen the enthusiasm at Ilfracombe’s annual May Day celebrations on Monday.
Once again green clad characters will take to the streets in a lively procession led by Jack-in-the-Green and accompanied by drummers and musicians, with all welcome to join them.
When the parade reaches the seafront there will be maypole dancing with children from Ilfracombe infant and junior schools, plus Morris and country dancers.
The procession of ‘leafy lads and lasses’ will set off from Wilder Road car park at 11am and makes its way along the High Street, joined by Town Crier Roy Goodwin, the May Queen and her attendants plus street drummers Humdrumconundrum.
You may also want to watch:
It will continue down Fore Street, along Broad Street and St. James’s Place, arriving at the seafront in front of Capstone around 12noon.
Finally, ‘Jack’ will be led down to Wildersmouth Beach, where his greenery will be stripped from his cloak and the spirit of summer released. Hopefully!
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 3 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate