Ilfracombe man died from lack of oxygen
- Credit: Archant
The 30-year-old from Ilfracombe ordered a gas canister online days before he committed suicide in January.
A YOUNG man who died after inhaling a gas intended to take his own life, an inquest concluded yesterday (Thursday).
Daniel Johnson was found dead at his home in Marlborough Road, Ilfracombe, on January 21.
The 30-year-old had told his mother he wasn’t going to work that day as he was waiting in for two deliveries.
When Mrs Johnson arrived home from her evening shift at work just before 5pm, she discovered the house locked up and Daniel lying on his bedroom floor.
She called an ambulance and attempted CPR but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post mortem concluded he had died from hypoxia – a lack of oxygen.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 5 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 6 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls
- 9 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 10 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
The inquest heard Daniel had tried to take his own life twice before and had a history of self harm.
Coroner John Tomalin said: “Mrs Johnson found her son and did what she could at the time but it seems clear to me he was deceased at that point.
“For me to return a verdict of suicide I have to be sure there’s no other explanation.
“I mentioned his history, albeit some years ago, and his decision not to go to work that day.
“I am satisfied the inescapable conclusion for me to return is that Daniel took his own life.”