Ilfracombe lighting of the lights brings out the crowds
Picture special: Ilfracombe celebrates the switch on of its Christmas lights.
THOUSANDS turned out in Ilfracombe on Wednesday for the town’s annual lighting of the lights celebration.
The popular community event organised by Ilfracombe High Street Traders saw the square at the war memorial packed with people keen to make a start on the Christmas festivities.
RNLI mascot Stormy Stan was guest of honour to lead the switch on countdown, linking in with Ilfracombe RNLI’s new appeal to raise money for a state-of-the-art Shannon class lifeboat.
A lantern lit parade of hundreds of local schoolchildren, led by Town Crier Roy Goodwin, heralded the start of the event, followed by a short blessing conducted by the Reverend Robert Harris.
You may also want to watch:
From an open-top bus provided by Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park, assisted by MC Ray Woof, Stan – joined by the Mayor Lynda Courtnadge with husband Richard and Nick Pedlar of the High Street traders - he led the crowd in the traditional countdown.
After the ceremony and led by the TLC Santa Sleigh, the crowds and the bus headed to the High Street for late night shopping, entertainment, refreshments and a variety of stalls and activities.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
* CLICK on the gallery link to top the right of this story to see more pictures.