Ilfracombe lifeboat plans unveiled
- Credit: RNLI
Community invited to consultation on Tuesday (November 26) at the lifeboat house from 3-7pm to hear more about the plans.
PLANS for altering Ilfracombe Lifeboat Station will be unveiled at a public consultation on Tuesday.
The proposals are necessary to prepare for the arrival of the new Shannon class lifeboat and from 3-7pm will be on display, together with an opportunity to chat to RNLI members and ask questions.
The new water jet powered Shannon will replace the current Mersey class all weather lifeboat and is expected to be in service for the next 50 years.
It will need a new launch and recovery vehicle, which local RNLI volunteers are bidding to raise money for in a £1million appeal.
You may also want to watch:
“This is the public’s opportunity to view and discuss the plans for the future of Ilfracombe RNLI,” said Chris Wallis, volunteer lifeboat operation manager.
“These are interesting and challenging times for the lifeboat station, and we are looking forward to being able to share our intentions with our community.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“The community has always been extremely supportive of the RNLI, and this year, with the start of the appeal for the new launch and recovery vehicle, has been no exception. We hope that they find our plans exciting, because they are the foundation for the next 50 years of the RNLI in Ilfracombe.’
Due to arrive at Ilfracombe within the next eighteen months, the Shannon class all-weather lifeboat will replace our current Mersey class all-weather lifeboat, Spirit of Derbyshire.
The Shannon is the first modern RNLI all-weather lifeboat to be powered by water jets rather than propellers and, capable of 25 knots, is 50 per cent faster than the lifeboats it replaces – ensuring that those in need are reached even more quickly.
For more information about the viewing, or to get involved with Ilfracombe RNLI, contact Ilfracombe Lifeboat Station on 01271 863771 or email@example.com.