Ilfracombe lifeboat helps motor cruiser
ILFRACOMBE S all weather lifeboat launched yesterday (Wednesday) morning to help a 33-foot motor cruiser that had broken down off Rockham Bay near Morte Point. The Mekela II was on passage from Bude to Sharpness when the fuel filters on the engine became
ILFRACOMBE'S all weather lifeboat launched yesterday (Wednesday) morning to help a 33-foot motor cruiser that had broken down off Rockham Bay near Morte Point.
The Mekela II was on passage from Bude to Sharpness when the fuel filters on the engine became blocked but the three people on board were able to anchor safely and await assistance from the RNLI.
The lifeboat launched just after 10am and soon located the vessel at anchor. A crew man was placed aboard and a line set up before it was towed back to Ilfracombe Harbour, arriving at 11.30am.
"This incident shows how important it is to carry a decent anchor with sufficient chain on board," said Ilfracombe Lifeboat Coxswain Andrew Putt.
You may also want to watch:
"When we arrived on scene there was a strong onshore breeze, if they had not been able to anchor this could well have ended in tragedy.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 8 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386